Democratize This! 7 Week Webinar on How to Make Systems Change
Time & Location
About the event
We are at a defining moment in history when, as the ecology is collapsing, pandemic is raging, and fascism is rising, our societies must design new structures of collaboration and cultivate new ways of being on every scale and in every domain.
Democratize This! How We Make the World We Want is an online webinar in the Summer of 2020 where we invite people to think and collaborate rather than panic and react. Through presentation, performance and small group work we will explore the question: How do small groups instigate systems change towards a more just and desirable future for everyone?
We review the dialectical approach of successful social movements: By sharing our stories, we can articulate the problems we face as fundamental contradictions that call for systemic change. In identifying contradictions, we locate effective points of leverage to make social interventions – in art, organizing, institutions, and day-to-day living -- led by our desires. This is how we participate in making and remaking democracy, where those affected by systems become their creators.
In the webinar, invited guests will show how they are advancing social justice, artists will share their work, and participants will be given assignments to try out social change strategies in their work and lives. Participants will leave with design tools to use wherever they are -- in their organizing, work, art, school, faith spaces, or community life.
Democratize This! How We Make the World We Want is based on a movement strategy book-in-progress designed to teach how to create social change. It is inspired by the lifetime work of Grace Lee Boggs and draws from two wellsprings:
- The School for Designing a Society, a 44-year old project in social change founded by survivors of Nazi Germany, that has enabled thousands of students across the world to design projects led by their desires, and
- Lessons from social justice movements the presenters helped grow: global justice, media justice, Indymedia, Occupy, racial justice, feminism, prison abolition, housing rights, and LGBTQ rights.
- 7 week webinar-full price$300$3000$0
- 7 week webinar-limited income$200$2000$0
- 7 week webinar-low income$100$1000$0
- 7 wk webinar-very low income$50$500$0
- 7 wk webinar-full scholarship$0$00$0